Rummaging around in the wooden drawers with letters, numbers and punctuation in adventurous fonts, I discovered what I roughly wanted to make. I figured out what the print should more or less look like, I made a design by playing around with the letters on the printing press. I translated my ideas into a mirror image, worked neatly and cleanly (hmmm) and carefully laid the crisp, white paper on the blocks. I gave the crank a yank and the paper waltzed deliciously over the blocks.
Then I lifted the sheet for the big reveal… AND THEN… the design looked different from what I had imagined. Either because: the design looked differently in ‘image’ than in mirror image, either because there was still a smudge of different colour ink on a wood letter or because one of the letters had shifted a fraction or because, because… There were many different reasons during the day.